Sunday, August 10, 2008

Russian Bombings in...Georgia??

I hate to be a statistic (unless it's like, top percent of hottest Jews in the country), but I can't avoid this one. I am apparently one of the many, MANY Americans who could be categorized as geographically retarded. I'm not the type of person who can readily admit that I'm wrong (because, well, come on, I'm usually not. Ever.). But when scanning the interwebs the other day to catch up on the newsins, I saw the headline "Georgia: Russians Dropped Bomb on Village"; and I was like, whaaaaaa?? Why would Russia want to bomb Georgia? Were they put off by Ludacris's last album? Were the last few batches of their peaches extremely mealy?

Click "Read More"...to read more!!

Turns out, Georgia is actually the name of an Eastern European country. Who knew? Here's a blurb from a Wikipedia article on the place:

Georgia ([ˈdʒɔrdʒə] (help·info); Georgian: საქართველო, Sakartvelo), formerly the Republic of Georgia, is a transcontinental country partially in Eastern Europe and partially in Southwest Asia in the Caucasus region. It is bordered to the north by the Russian Federation, to the east by Azerbaijan, to the west across the Black Sea by Ukraine, to the south by Armenia and to the southwest by Turkey.The territory of Georgia covers 69,700 km² and is influenced by a temperate seasonal climate. Georgia’s population is 4.4 million in the territories controlled by the central government of Georgia, nearly 84% of whom are ethnic Georgians.

Now, as you news-watchers know, Georgia is involved in the South Ossessia War - a military conflict between Russia, Georgia and South Ossessia. Wikipedia also has a great, informative article on the war here. I watched a brief clip on CNN of President Bush addressing the situation, but all I heard were Charlie Brown woh wohs.

Not to make light of this devastating situation, but I found it disturbing not only that there was a war going on, but also that I had no effing clue this place existed. And that's really embarrassing. What's worse, is that not ONE of my peers knew about it either.

I guess the thing is that once we're out of high school and college, nobody's really feeding us any current events or geographical updates - it's up to us as individuals to stay on point with the world. But with all the other important stuff we need to know (sample sales, Lindsay Lohan's sexual preference, that weird rash on my neck), who has time?

2 comments:

nurse-carrie said...

i saw this article too. and i knew that the headline was referring to the country and not the state. does that make me a total dork?

Brandon B said...

I for one welcome our Russian overlords.

Newer Post span.fullpost {display:inline;} Older Post Home